From Beads to Rings

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

When you look at my early pieces you may wonder if what you're seeing is really the Phoenyx Jewels line.  So different are they not just in materials but the style of my beaded pieces are very heavy and formal whereas I see my chainmaille as being sleek and elegant.  So what prompted the switch?


The "Baby Doll" set, my favorite beaded design


I think my first nudge to switch up my style was from my mom.  She wanted to wear my creations to work because a lot of the women at her company were fans of handmade jewelry, but she felt like most of my designs were just too dressy for the outfits she put together.  I started exploring ways to make more casual jewelry, by adding macrame bracelets.

Beach inspired macrame bracelet

Still, I wanted my jewelry to be more versatile.  I wanted to be able to custom fit my pieces to the people that purchased them and I wanted to transition from casual to formal without completely changing my medium or my style, that's when I turned to chainmaille.

European 4-in-1, a classic weave

I was first introduced to chainmail (or chainmaille) through Amtgard, a LARP (live action role play).  In fact, the name of my jewelry line is a play off of my Amtgard persona name Phoenyx Orane.  I love the detail in weaving hundreds of rings together to make a piece of jewelry.  And the medium transitions well, from the casual bracelet above, to the more detailed and formal look of the one below.  Since my switch to chainmaille I've also started finishing all of my jewelry with handmade S-clasps made from colored copper.

Close-up of a bracelet I'm working on right now.

I think my chainmail jewelry, in a way, is more Me than my beaded line.  As much as I love my bead designs, there are few that I'd actually enjoy wearing myself.  So far there isn't a chain piece that I wouldn't be just as happy tucking away in my own jewelry box as displaying it in the shop.  But don't worry, I'm not hiding any Jewels from you......yet ;-)

New logo
Old logo

0 comments:

Post a Comment