Banana Graham Muffins

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Lesson of the night: If you want the icing to harden, don't scald the milk.  I know, you're probably wondering how I managed to make that mistake.  I decided to replace the powdered sugar in a recipe for maple sugar, which I knew wouldn't dissolve in the milk as well.  I remember seeing my mom scald milk when making buttercream frosting so the sugar would completely melt so I decided that would be my solution to the gritty maple sugar.  What I forgot was that scalding milk changes it so the combined sugar and milk caramelized and therefore isn't hardening.  Urg.....though now my cookies have a nice dipping sauce.  Right....so muffins....




This recipe is still under-development, it originally came from the back of a box of HONEY MAID Graham Cracker Crumbs without the bananas.  When I first made the plain muffins I immediately thought it would taste even better with the addition of bananas.  This time I was making them for....well, a special guy who I know likes muffins ;)



I added 2 bananas and since they were still a bit green they didn't mash well and I had banana chunks at the bottom of all the muffins.  Not really a negative depending on your taste, I personally would have preferred them to be completely mashed.  I also think that taste was lacking a little so definately upping the number of bananas to 3.  Even without the bananas this was a very moist muffin yet it still seemed to be missing something...  Next time I'll play around with some brown sugar too, that may give me the extra zing.

 Oh, and the guy?  He loved them, and suggested that they be paired with a banana smoothie.



Banana Graham Muffins

Cook time: 18 minutes          9 muffins
  • 2½ cups graham cracker crumbs
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 cup 2% milk
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 3 bananas 
In medium bowl, combine crumbs, sugar, and baking powder.  Stir in milk, egg, bananas, and honey just until moistened.  Spoon batter into 9 greased 2½ inch muffin-pan cups.
     Bake at 400ºF for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Let stand 5 minutes; remove from pan.  Serve warm.

Adapted from HONEY MAID Graham Muffins


TIP for easy removal of the muffins from the pan:  Immediately after removing the pan from the oven, take a thin butter knife and run it around each muffin while it's still warm.  After they've cooled completely it will be much easier to wiggle them out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment