Coronation Cake - Vanilla, Blueberries, and White Chocolate

Monday, October 22, 2012

This past weekend was dedicated to baking a cake.  I've been having a really strong urge to bake a vanilla cake with blueberry filling ever since I saw this picture floating around the internet.  So I decided to bake one in honor of Dragon's Hollow Coronation this weekend.




I used Sweetapolita's Fluffy Vanilla Cake, Mother Thyme's Blueberry Filling, and Comfortably Domestic's White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.  No adaptions for this run of the cake but some notes for next time.


  • I used 9 inch cake pans instead of 8-inch like the recipe says.  This decreased the bake time even more that I thought it would.  I checked the pans at 20 minutes and they were done and slightly brown, next time I would check at 15 minutes and then at every 2 like the recipe says.
  • That said, next time I plan on increasing the ingredients by 20% which will bring the thickness of the cake's back to what the 8 inch layers would be.
  • Unfortunately not  a lot of the delicious filling really made it in the cake because I didn't level them....  Yeah.....not much to say there except I just couldn't bear to cut off some of the deliciousness from these already thin layers.  At any rate I'll be sure to do it next time seeing as how many blueberries rolled out.
  • I had plenty of extra filling and frosting which I served alongside the cake.  If you don't want any extra I'd say cut the filling recipe in half and use 2/3's of the frosting recipe.
  • As you can see in the pictures the "red" sections of icing came out pink.  Probably because I forgot that white chocolate and water-based food coloring do NOT mix.  Next time I'll be using powdered or oil based coloring.  ~Actually, after I took a Kroger trip a few days later I realized the tube of "gel food coloring" I'd bought had actually been one of those tiny premixed icing tubes.  Whoops, no wonder it wouldn't dye the icing red.~
  • I said at the field that I'd never stencil the heraldry again.....but that might be a lie.  Anyone know how to dye shredded coconut black?

0 comments:

Post a Comment