Question of the Day: Beyond the titles that others have given you, who are you?

Thursday, August 9, 2012



I am a designer.  It's funny though, because for the longest time I told everyone (including myself) that I was not.



For the first two and a half years of my time at Oakland University as I pursued my degree in Theatre Design & Technology I told everyone that "I was a technician, not a designer."  I had a lot of skills, and I could do and create things but I couldn't come up with the ideas myself.  I didn't understand the concept of designing at all.  I thought it was all the light bulb effect, spontaneously having an incredible original idea that no one's ever thought of before.  I'm sure that process (or lack there of) works for some people but not for me.  I am forever left-brained and need a formula for everything.  For me, and a lot of other people I know, designing is about being inspired.  Taking what's already been done and re-imagining it.

When you think about it, I guess it's no surprise that my first collection (to be released November 4th) is inspired off Tim Burton's "re-imagined" Alice in Wonderland.

___________________________________________________________________________________

All questions and images belong to the Thought Questions blog by Marc and Angel
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment